Saturday, January 13, 2007

Oiling hinges makes better ninjas

Joint mobility complexes are one of my favorite tools for getting me out of a funk. They get the blood going, lubricate the joints and when I'm done I always feel like a well oiled machine. It's a really great way to start the day. Plus it can be really effective for managing arthritis.
The first complex I ever came across was Pavel's in his book Super Joints. Its a really good one, it covers every part of the body and it really is effective, but recently I came across a couple of really good alternatives that go beyond Pavel's treatment of the topic. The first one is Qi Gong. It isn't quite the same as joint mobility but it has all of the same effects plus it goes quite a bit further into energy manipulation, something I think is very important. (I want to save the details of Qi Gong for another post)
The second one is from this short little clip I found on Youtube of a Serbian Systema class warming up. Its a lot more focused on functional movements rather than just lubricating the joints. A couple of the exercises might have to be reserved for those with healthy backs but most are pretty safe. It is a little more advanced (I couldn't see my grandma doing this particular complex) but not so hard that anyone with a healthy back couldn't do it. I had a really good time when I first tried it.
To use these exercises all you have to do is repeat each movement a number of times. The idea is to explore your range of motion, your body's articulation, and to repeat it a sufficient number of times to allow the natural healing mechanisms to kick in. Sufficient often means (as Pavel advises) as many repetitions as your age. If you have arthritis or are recovering from an injury you should probably increase the number gradually to around a hundred repetitions. Consult your doctor too before you start.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think of it. Explore yourself.

No comments: