Thursday, April 26, 2007

Religion or Philosophy?

I was just reading a book by Michael Dummett (truth and other enigmas) and I realized something thats somewhat interesting. I've found that whenever I read philosophical books I get a certain level of comprehension of the topics I'm reading about. Often I read such books (the first time) with the intention of finding out how the author perceives reality. I usually leave disapointed. Like just now I got insights into all sorts of topics from Dummett's book like on the concepts of meaning, of an empirical logic, truth, functions, Wittgenstein's language games, etc. But I really couldn't tell you anything new about reality or Truth (capital T). With religious texts however, I always walk away with a sense of having gotten a glimpse of what lies beyond the veil. Perhaps this is due to the fact that a religious person is not (usually) focused on anything trivial. Essentially they are continually wrapped up in thoughts of infinity, unconditional love, and singularity whereas a philosopher is usually concerned with topics like truth, logical structure, teaching classes, writing books, meaning, and Wittgenstein.

No comments: