Friday, April 20, 2007

Two keys to life.

I tried putting up a game yesterday as I said I would but for some reason the code was screwed up or something. Oh well.
I have no idea what I'm going to talk about today. I suppose the great secret to life might be a good place to start. I won't go into much detail because I'm really not feeling well today. I think I caught my girlfriend's cold or something. But anyways...

Recently certain thoughts kept creeping up into my head, thoughts about the most efficient ways to live and how to simplify "living strategies" into as few categories as possible. By living strategies I mean techniques that have a significant benefit to all (or most) areas of life. Essentially this has been my continual study since my mid teens and I must say I have amassed quite a heft arsenal of nifty little tricks. During the last few weeks however I've been trying to seriously reduce them to the simplest terms. I've been considering what techniques really dominate over the other ones. Then I started reading books like "Evolve your Brain" by Joe Dispenza, "biology of belief" by Bruce Lipton, and "the Future of the Body" by Michael Murphy. These books really didn't shed any light onto what I thought were useful methods of personal improvement but they did show me just how useful some techniques really were.
I've been aware of the power of Love and Concentration since I was about 18 years old. I realized that there is nothing in life that can't be done with a mind that can concentrate and a body full of love. What I didn't realize was that neuroscience was in the process of confirming this for me. In Dispenza's book he demonstrates that if a person wishes to change their body all they have to do is rewire the brain. To be able to rewire the brain however we need to do a couple of things. We need to get the neurons firing together. Then we need the neurons to wire together. Now, there are a couple of different ways this can be accomplished. The simplest way is simply to think the thoughts (or feel the feelings) you want to become permanent in a repetitve way. The more the neurons fire together the soon they will wire together. This is the lengthiest but easiest way to do things. We can also attach a strong emotion to the thought. The stronger the emotion the quicker the wiring. This also usually leads us to repeat the thought over and over again as well causing further reinforcement. Then Dispenza tells us that the same thing is true for our attention. That the more focused we are on one particular thing the more focused the brain can be on rewiring itself. Concentration produces stronger connections between neurons and therefore necessitates fewer repetitions.
I'm sure I haven't done justice to Dispenza's work but I think I got my point across. It's interesting to compare this with everything that every religious teacher has ever taught us. It's the same old things, focus your mind and fill yourself with love. Like Aleister Crowley says "Concentration is the key to life" and also "love is the law, love under will."
I guess thats all for now, I'll probably revisit this topic several times in the future to work out all the details. Till then stay fit and have fun.

No comments: