Friday, May 18, 2007

Another note on Learning Chinese

Gotta dig the new autosave feature.
Learning Mandarin is FUN!
I love it. I can totally see myself using mandarin as my primary language. It feels like I should have been born speaking it. I'm just finding it so natural and easy it's incredible.
Apparently most people find it quite easy to learn to speak it but have a hard time writing it so maybe I'll be changing my tune once I really get into the writing. Whatever. I love it so far. So rich, so poetic. I always thought that English was the best language to write poetry in (probably because the only other languages I knew, French and Latin, are entirely unsuited to poetry), but now that I've caught a glimpse of Mandarin (standardized Beijing dialect) I can totally see myself writing poetry in Chinese.
I've been photoreading a Chinese/English dictionary, a couple books on grammar, and I'm constantly listening to vocabulary and pronunciation CDs. I'm also looking for some soap operas in Mandarin cuz I read on the learningstrategies.com forum that soaps are a good way to begin immersion. So if anyone knows where I can find some mandarin soaps I'd really love to know. I'm not sure at this point how to make it worth your while but I'm sure we'll find something.

No comments: