Saturday, May 5, 2007

A brief thought on Wittgenstein

Stupid feedblitz subscription thing. I'm not sure if it's working yet so if you want to subscribe and you get a message that says you're subscribing to "unified health" please let me know. Also if you aren't getting the updates.

What should I talk about now? I'd like to talk about logic, how the unit of measure of the mind can't be considered as a unit but only as a process. I'd like to talk about the fact that all we see is a reflection of our thoughts, and those thoughts are entirely governed by this relational structure that keeps us from seeing beyond the possible preconceptions of our own minds and into the realm of Truth. That would be nice. To be able to speak about speech itself and map out it's limits, from the inside, Like Ludwig. I'd appreciate that if I could, or if I really wanted to. But how do I come to do that? How can we really speak about the laws that govern speech? These laws (or rather consistent structures) totally pervade every aspect of ever word we utter. We cannot utter a word or phrase or any sort of intelligible or unintelligible sign without it being controlled by the logical form that our minds have imposed on us. I say imposed because I have an inkling (like old Witty) that, even though we are entirely subject to it, we can actually use logic to arrive at a place that will enable us to be free of it's confines. Logic cannot take us the whole way, I think only concentration can, but it can draw an out line of what lies beyond itself (from within itself). So what could this mean? That, first of all, we are limited to the possibilities of combinations of thoughts, that those combinations are limited by logical form (at least our interpretation of them is limited), and that logical form is destroyed by...

Morning gibberish. Just straightening out a couple things I learned this week about the great and powerful Wittgenstein. I think everyone should study at least some logic. At the very least every person should be taught (preferably in high school or junior high) the basics of informal logic and the basics of propositional logic. At the very least a person should know the most common fallacies and be aware of why they are fallacies. This would clear things up a bit.

No comments: