Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Follow Your Bliss

What is a balanced life? Does it mean that I should spend so much time doing my hair, so much time reading, so much time in exercise, and so much time with leisure? I'd rather follow my bliss. Joseph campbell, that myth lovin mofo knew what was goin on. Did you know he spent 5 years of his life alone in the woods reading mythology for 12 hours a day? Apparently he couldn't get a degree in mythology at the time so he just decided he would educate himself. I have no idea how he was able to support himself while he did this but hell, who cares. Now we have a bunch of really good books by a guy who wouldn't take no for an answer and who had the balls to follow his bliss.

Could I, even I, be like him and follow my bliss? Should I do it? It might cost a lot of money, or time, or emotion. I don't think I could handle that. Should I go for it anyway? What if I fail, then what? Then I've spent all this time, money and emotion on "being blissful" when I could have been mortgaging a house that I'd have to pay for for the next 20 years. Shit! I've been wasting all this time being happy when there's money to be made.

It's a lonely road to true fulfillment.
Naw not really.
Along the way we find friends and family, colleagues, mentors, mentees, and the dog next door that find it in their hearts to recognize what we are doing. They see it in our faces when we beam from ear to ear telling them how our day was, or how this project is going. We gird up our loins with the meat and potatoes of self-satisfaction and expansive joy. We give all we have to follow this bliss and in return we are given the whole world. Every door, window, and corridor is opened up for us when we embrace our true purpose and we know our purpose through that feeling of fulfillment.

Listen to yourself, you know best.

No comments: