Monday, May 7, 2007

Mitt Romney for the 2008 election

I was just visiting Mitt Romney's blog out of curiosity. He's gov. of Massachusetts I think and he's running for the 2008 election. It seems like his major platform for this election is the obvious hot topic of the preservation of the "nuclear" family. He's all about preserving and strengthening the traditional family unit. I'm curious to know how any reasonable adult could possibly buy into that? Sure it's a great campaign move because it would easy to use that topic to create buzz on both sides of the issue, it's emotionally charged, and a lot of people in the US strongly (and blindly) agree with him. Politically it's probably a really smart move but I'm forced to ask a question like "how do you address the fact that this is a blatant statement of prejudice and intolerance. To judge a certain sexual penchant as unworthy of the same respect as any other is simply bigotry. There is not enough scientific evidence to support the claims that same sex marriage is any worse (either for the children or for the couple) than a traditional marriage. Is your platform not, in essence, encouraging bigotry and intolerance, two of the biggest causes of social unrest? How can you conscientiously condone the propagation of these attitudes in a country that is notorious for that in the first place?"

I've already posted a few questions to the same effect on his site and I'm still waiting for a reply. I sure am curious how he's able to skirt around this issue.
I've also asked him how he can reasonably support the US military presence in the middle east knowing that it isn't sanctioned by the UN. That should be interesting.

It sucks knowing that he's got the best shot in this election. Good thing I'm not American.

2 comments:

C.N. said...

Hopefully you'll post his response, if you do in fact, receive one. I'm quite curious - your arguments are obviously compelling. I can just see the hebitude.

M. H. said...

I think his hebetude is being demonstrated by his lack of response.